Simple Fields users – please help me test the new version

Lately I have been working hard on the next version of Simple Fields – my Custom Fields plugin for WordPress. Some of the new great features are:

  • Support for Custom Field Types/Field Type extensions. This means that you (or anyone else! 🙂 can write your own plugins for Simple Fields that adds new field types. Want a field type that let the user select a date range? Well just write it then! Or hire someone to do it. The main thing is that with this function Simple Fields is endless extendable!
  • New functions for registering field groups and fields and post connectors using plain PHP. Great news for theme developers beacuse now you can add pre-defined sets of fields for your users. No need to add fieldgroups or post connectors manually.
  • Support for slugs: each field you add now have a slug (that you decide) that you can use to access that field. Very useful together with the next feature:
  • New and better/easier functions for getting the saved values for a post: simple_fields_value(“field_slug”) and simple_fields_values(“field_slug_1, field_slug_2”). No more messing with fieldgroup and field IDs.
  • Actions and filters are added at many places so developers can modify parts of Simple Fields behavior.

The above features surely are great, but since I am just one person It’s difficult to spot possible bugs.  So this is what I need you for: please help me find the bugs in the upcoming version of Simple Fields!

You can find the latest version of the plugin at Simple Fields GitHub project page. Please download it from there (or clone the repository, whatever suits you best) and use the plugin on an existing or new site and then report any bugs tot the GitHub project page or directly to me.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Oh – and don’t forget to backup your database first. You know… just in case  🙂

Plugin Simple History is starting to look good – check it out if you haven’t already

Simple History is one of my own favorite plugins for WordPress. It’s a plugin that let you see what the users of WordPress has been working on: what posts have they been working on, what attachments has been uploaded, what users have been created and what plugins have been installed, etcetera.

Screenshot of plugin showing a history of recent changes in the wordpress installation

Lately I’ve spent a lot of time and work making it better. If you haven’t tried it yet I really recommend you to try it out. The latest version really looks like it’s part of the WordPress Core and it’s working just marvelously great I think. And one of the best part of it is that it stays out of your way until you need it. If you don’t know it’s installed, the chance is big that you dont even notice it at all. And I like that; plugins should be discrete and stay out of your way.

So: please give it a try. Download the zip directly of visit the WordPress plugin repository for more info. And after you tried it: please let me know if you liked and what I could change to make it even better. Thanks!

This blog (and all my other sites) is now running on Nginx

Yes, I finally made the switch from Apache to Nginx. I’ve wanted to do this for a long time. Not that my sites has that many hits/traffic, but just because I wanted to try Nginx out.

It was a pretty straightforward experience to set it up. Now since my old VPS was running Ubuntu 8.04 LTS I figured it was time to upgrade it too, that’s why I went and created a new VPS. So … all I did was basically to:

  • create a new VPS
  • install Ubunbu 10.04 on it
  • install Nginx
  • and PHP
  • and MySQL
  • copy my old www-folder (I used rsync for this, so I quickly could update it just before I went live)
  • import my old mysql-databases (using mysqldump, storing dump in www-folder, and letting rsync pick up it’s changes too)
  • setup server blocks for Nginx and convert the rewrite rules from apache to the format nginx uses. This was far more simple than I expected. Perhaps I cheated a bit by using http://www.anilcetin.com/convert-apache-htaccess-to-nginx/.
  • remove ip-number from old VPS and attach it to the new VPS

Most surprising/cool was the last part when I switched VPS for the IP number. It took just 30 seconds or so to do the switch from one server to another. Pretty cool. No waiting for DNS or similar.